Estonia Gambling License
Gambling license in Estonia
In Estonia, online casinos can be operated only by companies that have received the necessary license from the Tax and Customs Board.
The Estonian Casino License guarantees that:
- The casino will always be solvent, and the casino will always have enough money to pay customers immediately.
- The casino is secure, and the customers’ personal data is used only in the prescribed manner and meets all GDPR requirements.
- Casino is fair and doesn’t cheat players
- The casino offers its players only games from game manufacturers that have been verified by third parties. This guarantees fair compensation for all games.
- Players do not have to pay income tax on casino winnings
Be aware that you do not need the activity licence if you wish to form:
- Games of skill, the only possible prize of which is the opportunity to participate in the same game again
- Lotteries, the value of the prize pool of which is up to 1,000 EUR
- Commercial lotteries
PACKAGE «COMPANY & GAMBLING LICENSE IN ESTONIA»
Application for a remote gaming license within Tax and Customs Department of Estonia
- Preparation of company registration documents
- State fee for company registration
- Notary fees
- Assistance to increase required share capital
- Communication with Tax and Customs Board of Estonia
- Analyzation of business plan and identification of license type needed
- Submission of all required documents
- Documents to prove the competence of the persons involved
- AML/KYC procedures preparation
- Consumer protection preparation
- Gaming rules preparation
- Application for Activity Licence
- Application for Operating Permit
The initial capital for organising games of chance is a minimum of 1,000,000 EUR.
The share capital when organising pari-mutuel betting amounts to at least 130,000 EUR.
In the case of games of skills, the capital is 25,000 EUR.
Please also be aware that a company need to be registered as a public limited company or private limited company to apply for any licenses mentioned above.
The decision usually takes between 4-6 months from documents submission. After the license is obtained, the applicant must send the necessary documents to register the gambling permit. The Department will take 2-4 months to make the decision.
According to the government regulations, the shareholders of a gambling business must not include a person who:
- Has a criminal record
- Has organised gambling without an activity licence or operating permit, or has managed a company whose activity licence has been revoked due to a violation of the law
- Has caused the insolvency of a company due to a grave error in management
Before deciding on giving an activity licence, authorities check whether the applicant for the activity licence meets the requirements established for gambling operators. The authorities also check the tax behaviour of the last three years. If applicable, the additional characteristics of the applicant for the activity licence are collected to verify the documents submitted upon application for the activity license.
According to the Estonian authorities, the following documents should be presented along with the application form:
- Information and documents regarding the members of the management board and supervisory board of the applicant for an activity licence, including, for each person, the forename and surname, personal identification code or date of birth in the absence thereof, place of residence, a complete list of places of employment and positions, and documents that prove the trustworthiness of the members of the management board and supervisory board of the applicant for the activity licence and their conformity to the requirements of the Gambling Act, which the applicant considers essential to submit, and the information and documents specified in clause 11 (3) 2) of the Gambling Act
- Information about the auditor of the applicant for the activity licence, including the auditor’s name, place of residence or seat, personal identification code or date of birth in the absence thereof, or registry code
- A list of the shareholders of the applicant for the activity licence, including, for each shareholder, the name, registry code or personal identification code, or date of birth in the absence of a personal identification code, and information about the number of shares or size of the holding and the number of votes to be acquired or already held by each shareholder
- The information and documents specified in subsection 11 (2) of the Gambling Act regarding persons who have a qualifying holding in the applicant for the activity licence
The application process also involves paying a state fee:
- 47,940 EUR for the organisation of games of chance
- 3,200 EUR for the organisation of games of skill
- 31,960 EUR for the organisation of pari-mutuel betting
GAMBLING LICENSE IN ESTONIA
|Period for consideration
|Annual fee for supervision
|State fee for application
|31,000 – 48,000 EUR (depending on activity)
|Local staff member
|Required share capital
|130,000 – 1,000,000
|Corporate income tax
|5% (6% starting from 1 January 2024)
The European Union does not have set the requirements for organising gambling. It means that an activity licence acquired from another state within the European Economic Area does not grant the right to offer gambling in Estonia, which also valid vice versa. More information.
Estonian Casino Regulator
In Estonia, both online casinos and private casinos are licensed by the Estonian Tax and Customs Board (EMTA).
EMTA is also responsible for supervising Estonian casinos and ensuring the safety of your game.
Casino license in Estonia
Only casinos licensed by the Estonian Tax and Customs Board can legally operate in Estonia.
Which companies do not need to apply for a gambling license in Estonia?
Both online casinos and casinos can only operate in Estonia if they have received a license.
However, the organization of games with signs of gambling without permission is allowed in the following cases:
- When the game is about dexterity, the only possible win is the opportunity to play the same game again.
- If sports competitions are offered
- If the lotteries are held, the amount of the prize pool DOES NOT EXCEED 1000 EUROS.
- When organizing a commercial lottery, the amount of the winning fund does not exceed 10,000 euros.
If the offer of a game with gambling characteristics falls into one of the above categories, neither a gambling license nor a gambling tax is required.
A casino license issued by the Estonian Tax and Customs Board increases the credibility of the casino, and in case of an EMTA problem can also help you in such cases. For other casinos EMTA does not have this option.
At the same time, playing in a casino with an Estonian license helps to avoid such problems, as it is not easy to get an Estonian casino license, and EMTA also constantly controls casinos licensed in Estonia.
Regulated United Europe supports gambling businesses formation in Estonia. Please contact us and request a consultation from us today.
“Our company specializes in facilitating the acquisition of a Gambling License in Estonia, and I am here as a dedicated specialist to provide tailored assistance. Rely on our expertise to guide you through the regulatory requirements, ensuring thorough compliance and establishing a secure foundation for your gambling activities within the jurisdiction of Estonia.”
RUE customer support team
“Hi, if you are looking to start your project, or you still have some concerns, you can definitely reach out to me for comprehensive assistance. Contact me and let’s start your business venture.”
“Hello, I’m Sheyla, ready to help with your business ventures in Europe and beyond. Whether in international markets or exploring opportunities abroad, I offer guidance and support. Feel free to contact me!”
At the moment, the main services of our company are legal and compliance solutions for FinTech projects. Our offices are located in Vilnius, Prague, and Warsaw. The legal team can assist with legal analysis, project structuring, and legal regulation.